Sunday, May 9, 2010

How important is intellect level in relationships?

I was thinking about it today; Two people can get along great but what if one of them is much more intellectual and brainier than the other? Would this affect their relationship in the long run?How important is intellect level in relationships?
Well I consider myself an intellectual person and I can tell you that a relationship can work with someone ';intellectually challenged';... in the short run.


I had a girlfriend who was beautiful but shall we say.. not the brightest.


We were together for 4 months and we had fun all along, but while she pretty much partied all her free time, she didn't care too much about the things I did. We never could have a good conversation about important matters in life because her mentality was very limited.


I can say that while I put a great emphasis on the matters that rouse my brain, she concentrated on the materialistic things.


We were good together in the short run but she wasn't the woman I imagined my life with.How important is intellect level in relationships?
This is probably going to depend on the person. In the long run I would bet that most relationships with large intellectual gaps aren't going to last a particularly long time.





Nonetheless they can work for some periods. Personally, I had a 15-mo relationship that only lasted that long because of the sex. Intellectually she was a dope. Currently I'm on tail end of a relationship of 2.5yrs. This girl is much smarter, but doesn't have any true intellectual curiosity and I've gotten sick of talking about movie stars and Trader Joes.





Intellectual interests and compatibility help to fill that void that we all hit once we seem to have exhausted all our personal stories and histories. Obviously not necessary in a relationship that doesn't involve much talking, but important to the rest of us.
um it shouldn't unless your stuck up about yourself.. if you guys get along great, thats a really great key to a relationship. if he has a decent vocabulary and know how to make you happy, i dont see why someone has to be on the others intellectual level to be compatible.

No comments:

Post a Comment