Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How are the relationships between African-Americans and Koreans now?

I love to travel and I will be traveling to South Korea soon but I've been hearing about the racism and somewhat hatred between the two groups. I am a black female and just want to know.





What I want to know is the racism still as strong as it was during the last bit of the 20th century or has it died down? I don't mind being stared at if I go somewhere new (I still get stared at when I speak Chinese and use chopsticks). I would like to go and not be heavily harassed when I arrive.How are the relationships between African-Americans and Koreans now?
I'm not exactly sure. I've always been tld (by Koreans) that most Koreans were racist, which isn't very helpful. I used to be around Koreans a lot (as in, the only black in a room of Koreans). It always felt half and half. Some would be very nice and welcoming, others...not so much. Overall, my experience with Koreans (as in, from Korea :P) has been positive with a few exceptions. I honestly think that with pop culture racism there has died down a little (with korean stars like Se7en not only trying to win over American audiences, but black American audiences as well/speicifically). However, still be prepared to face some racism. I also notice that if you speak Korean to a Korean person, they become friendlier as well :DHow are the relationships between African-Americans and Koreans now?
Korean people are polite in general, so I do not think you would be faced with racism. I would suggest though that you consider Tokyo,Japan they seem more open minded and used to foreigners. Plus in general they don't distinguish between races they see all people who are not Japanese as gaijin( foreigner).
I don't know how it is in Korea, but I have a korean friend who is open to talking to anyone. If you do go to Korea, just try to have fun as much as possible, and find a good friend, or more(hopefully).
lol if you are that ';curious'; why would you even put yourself in that position?





yeah,a lot of koreans don't like blacks...get used to it! or don't go!
you speak chinese? i'm learning to speak chinese!





wo jiao Lea. ni hao ma?

No comments:

Post a Comment