Saturday, January 23, 2010

How many gay men have steretypical relationships with their parents?

I am gay and so many of my gay friends have the stereotypical gay relationship with their parents. They are very close to their mother and they don't have a relationship with their father. In my case, it is the opposite. I am close with my dad and luke warm with my mom. There were no issues about me being gay with either parent, it's just that I am much closer to my dad. My gay friends seem so surprised that I am not close to my mom. Why?How many gay men have steretypical relationships with their parents?
My family relationships are like yours. I get along better with my dad than my mom. I came out when I was 16 and my dad was much more cool about it than my mom. I don't know why the dynamics are as they are in your family but I know why they are as they are in mine. My dad grew up in New York City. He's seen and heard everything so nothing phases him. My mom lived a sheltered life in the country %26amp; didn't know a single openly gay person until her late twenties. Additionally, I have a straight brother who couldn't be more supportive. He's even tried setting me up a few times.


As far as your friends' reactions, I definitely can relate to those. I think the media has a lot to do with this stereotype of the supportive mom, the distant/rejecting dad, the anti-gay bull of a brother, etc...I resent those stereotypes.How many gay men have steretypical relationships with their parents?
yeah when I was very young my parents got divorced.?I have always been closer with my mom cause my father has always favorrr my brother and ever cared much about me. so yeaaa

Report Abuse



i have no relationship with my father for the following reason; when growing up (when he was still married to my mom) he didn't pay attention to me and couldn't have cared less and now that he wants to be part of my life i shut him out of my life and tell him it's too late.





i am close to my mom because she was there for me and always cared.
Yeah, I'm cool with my mother cuz she's the only one that's ever been there. My dad was never around to begin with. He's had plenty of chances and opportunity to, however, he just never really cared i guess. So who cares what he thinks. And I'm bi by the way. And when I told my mother, she didn't care.
I have a closer relationship with my mom than my dad, but it's not because I'm gay, it's because she's friendlier and more nurturing.





Lately, though, they both get on my nerves equally.
My gay brother has that stereotypical relationship... sort of. He's not super close to mom, but he's cut off his relationship with his father.
My parents are dead. Thank you for reminding me of that fact. You're lucky to have parents at all.
IDK. I used to be closer to my Mom than my Dad until they found out I was gay. I had to come out to my Mom TWICE because she TOTALLY blanked out the first 3-hour conversation we had about it. While I was never really close with my Dad, he tries (as best as he can) to address it and discuss things with me, though he has to be careful about it. If Mom ever got the inkling that he accepts, let alone APPROVES of my lifestyle there would be hell to pay. He has to live with her so he has to choose his battles carefully. When Mom isn't within earshot, we'll talk about it but when she hovers close by, the conversation becomes very innocuous and mundane.





I've resigned myself to the fact that Mom will probably never come around which I find kind of sad. She still maintains a mother/son relationship with me (I'm 45) and can't seem to move BEYOND that to two ADULTS relating to one another. She's always going on about how I have to ';grow up'; and ';do adult'; things and ';take adult responsibility.'; I'm tired of it and as a result have not been home to visit in over two years. I know that I should be the bigger person and ';honor thy Father and thy Mother'; and all that stuff but what about MY spirit requiring validation and acceptance? That goes both ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment